This was instituted in the name of Prof. S S Merh, Professor of Geology(Retd.), M S University of Baroda, Vadodara, in the year 1996 and is given once in two years to a young scientist below the age of 45 years for significant contributions in the field of Quaternary Geology.
- 1998: Laxman Singh Chamyal,Vadodara
- 2002: Vishwas S Kale,Pune
- 2002: Pothuri Divakar, NaiduGoa
- 2004: Javed N Mallik,Kharagpur
- 2006: Rajiv Sinha,Kanpur
- 2008: No selection was made
- 2010: Pradeep Srivastava,Dehradun